Sights

Sights

The Roman Catholic church of St. Jan Nepomucký

The instant impetus for building the church in Čeladná was the imperial order of the enlighted monarch Josef II. in September 1782.

The new churches with their own spiritual authorities were supposed to arise everywhere, “.... where the children of their own parish are cut off by water, high mountains and bad reaching during winter time or they barely go there..., where houses in one parish are more than one hour away from each other...“

The measurement of the building structure started at the beginnign of 1786, the church was finished in 1789 and already on 5th July of the same year provost Ignác Uhlář consecrated the church toward worship of St. Jan Nepomucký.
The building had only a single nave, was not arched and compared to the older churches was rather modest. The mobiliary had been mostly gained from the church of St. Jan Křtitel at the former Franciscan monastery in Kroměříž. The first local chaplain became a  former Cistercian Melchior Kalivoda from a disestablished monastery in Velehrad.

During more than 2 centuries of its existence, the church have been through numerous reconstructions and modifications – both the minor and even fundamental ones. In 1974 it was  modified according to the direction of the II. Vatican council. Worth seeing, in one of the side altars, is the picture of St. Isidor - the patron of the farmers.

There is a cast iron cross from 1834, at the entry to the area of the cemetery, which was donated by earl Chotek. It is a testimony of an outstanding craftsmanship of the local casting house. On the presbytery of the church, a memorial plaque is placed, reminding the killed citizens of Čeladná in  world war I. and II..

 

The Čeladná square

Before year 2000, there was only a shattered building of a textil factory used as the army warehouse.

As the memorial plaque says, the reconstruction of the square started in August 2000. It proceeded in several phases and was finalized by the gala opening of the town hall in August 2008.

Today there is a brand new centre of Čeladná with flats, shops, coffee houses and a hotel. The old builiding of the textil factory is commemorated only by a front wall and a tall chimney where storks have built their nest and every year bring up two to three young ones.

The dominating feature of the square has become the public fountain, which was designed and realized by an artist Petr Honzátko from Kohoutov in Podkrkonoší.

 

The Memorial of Josef Kalus

The memorial of Josef Kalus is situated in the middle part of Čeladná, close to the road to the Golf course.
In the 80´s of 19th century, village Čeladná bought a building from an iron-mill craftsman Stefani, which was originally meant to be a pub, but instead a school was built. Between years 1889 – 1908 it had become a place of work of  "Wallachian nightingale" –  a teacher and poet Josef Kalus.

When in 1977 the classes were moved into a new school building, the old school was turned into a Hall of traditions, later the Memorial of Josef Kalus. In 1993 a new homeland study exposition "Through a Čeladná valley" was opened in a reconstructed attic.
For the first time a new method of combined presentation of natural and socioscientific collections was used. The permanent exhibition refers to the history of Čeladná, life and work of Josef Kalus and attention is also aimed at the Partisan movement at the end of world war II. You can also attend seasonal exhibitions of contemporary artists, craftsmen, collectors and others. The exhibitions vary during a high season and at many of them you can purchase the products.

Open for visitors

May, June, September: National holidays, Saturdays and Sundays 9 am – 3 pm
July, August: National holidays, Tuesday – Sunday 9 am – 4 pm (Mondays closed)

To book for an individual visit, please call on +420 739 219 838.


The Timbered chapel of St. Cyril and Method

At the upper end of Čeladná by the road to Podolánky, there is a smaller timbered chapel of St. Cyril and Method. It catches attention by unusual pyramidal roof and ornamental elements.
Next to the chapel, above a stream called "Cyrilka", there is a wooden pavillon with a restored mosaic placed in a stony niche.

The both buildings were built in 1936 in accordance with a design of Ing. Roska from Kroměříž and were built up by the fromer Archiepiscopal authority of forests and farms and were kept under their suprevision even later. The architecture of the buildings is noticeably similar to the style of  buildings on the peak Pustevny designed by D. Jurkovič (in the Beskydy mountains).

Their sensible concept goes well together with a near lodge and follows the older tradition of wooden houses for forest workers, which were built under the  Archiepiscopal authority of forests and farms.

 

The Kozinec

The valley of the Čeladenka river is clutched by a mountain pass Tísňava, through wich the trade rout from Moravia to Hungary used to lead. The narrowest place of the pass had been guarded by a castle of undissclosed name, that we now call either "čeladenský" or Kozinec (name of the hill).

From the castle it was easy to control any move on the pathway. There in the pass, it was possible to collect toll, make cuts and also give fire signals further into inland.

The castle had been known for a long time, but it was localized  no sooner than in 1981. It is placed on a narrow hill top, in an area approximately 50 m long and 5 – 7 m wide, in an altitude 648 m. From the surrounding landscape it is separated by a deep moat that is cut in the rocks and also tens of meters of high steep slopes.
To build the castle, it seems that besides wood, also a great deal of stones was used, as plenty of loose stones are scattered all over the hill. However, no solid wall has remained.

At the end of 14th or maybe 15th century, the castle lost its function. Perhaps it was destroyed during one of the many raids of the "landlord troops" in a warfare between supporters of either Moravian margrave Jošt or Prokop, maybe it was abandoned during a disarray caused by the Hussite riots,  when the state authority practically vanished along with the system of a border protection. It is possible, that the castle could have existed until the Czech – Hungarian wars at the end of 15th century and was destroyed in one of those. During the archeological exploration, there were found parts of ceramics and iron, e.g. bits of cups, bowls, goblets, nails, arrowheads, crossbowheads, decorated buckle, etc.
To get to the castle from the centre of Čeladná, it is about 5 km in the direction to Podolánky. You pass by the chapel of St. Cyril and Method with the stream Cyrilka, then you follow the red marked tourist path and in a place called Tísňavy you cross the bridge over the Čeladenka river. 200 meters further you find yourself right opposite the Kozinec.
To get right to the castle, you have to climb up the steep slope off the marked path. As long as you get over the rocks, you are there to enjoy a beautiful view over the Beskydy mounatins, Frýdlant nad Ostravicí and the valley of the Čeladenka river.

 

The Spa Skalka

At the beginning of the last century, in a romantic corner of the Beskydy mountains, a sanitorium for the miners from Ostrava city was built. It was named Skalka – after the main and closest peak of the Ondřejník mountain. From the cadastral poin of view, this area lies between urban area Kunčice under Ondřejník and Čeladná. The spa used to be called "The Spa in Great Kunčice under Radhošť" (today the Beskydské rehabilitation centre in the cadastral unit Čeladná).
In 1902, the estate called Pod Skalkou with a Skalka hotel (today the Beskydské rehabilitation centre), was bought by Dr. Jan May and his wife Božena. The plan of Dr. May was to set up and to run a spa and sanitorium for the miners from Ostrava city. For a position of a bath doctor, he invited his brother-in-law from Prague, Dr. Bohumil Müller, who together with his wife Běla, in 1904 acquired half of the ownership rights. Mrs. Běla Müllerová became a godmather of the spring, which had been set up in 1903.

First intervention was the reconstruction of the former farm, that became the sanitorium. Second fundamental object of the spa was a building of already existing hotel Skalka. Both buildings were later supplemented by a 3rd building used for an accommodation, called Ondřejka.

In 1909 the sanitorium was bought by the "Mining association of ostravsko – karvinské mining companies". The head doctor became Dr. Bartoloměj Storch. In 1940 the sanitorium was rebuilt and instead of farm buildings  the garages and a loundry were built.

Between years 1948 – 1949 a new medical pavilion had been built and the whole sanitorium was renamed as the "Miners´ sanitorium of  Zdeněk Nejedlý". In 1952 the sanitorium became a part of the local hospital and in 2000 the Beskydské rehabilitation centre "came into life", combining specialized possibilities of hospital with advantages of the spa. It offers friendly and family atmosphere, a nice park with a pond, small zoo-park with Cameroonian goats, moderate climate and all around the beautiful nature of the Beskydy mountains.

 

The Timbered chapel of  the Holy Mary and the Ferdinand´s stream

It is claimed that in the 19th century, within the surroundings of the Beskydské rehabilitation centre, the Virgin Mary appeared at the well near the pond. People started to come to the well to get the water, because they believed in its miraculous effects. As an expression of gratitude for recovery, farmer Ferdinand Brázda had let the timbered chapel built. The constructor, Mr. Emil Christoph, used timbers that got left after the near railroading.

The chapel was admitted to holy orders of the Holy Virgin Mary. Between years 1995 – 2000 it had been reconstructed and these days the church services are held there. On 17th December, a new bell "Richard" was installed in the chapel, weighing 46 kg. The bell was manufactured and installed by a campanologic firm Kadlec from Halenkov. The bell rings at 6 am, 12 o´clock and at 6 pm.

Rather a big financial amount for the bell purchase was donated by a Slovak singer Richard Müller. A wooden  umbrella is standing at the miraculous well. The chemistry of water is said to support digestion and therefore the well is quite popular.

 

The Ondřejka

It is a guesthouse in the area of the Beskydské rehabilitation centre. It was built in 1908 in a style of Norwegian houses. The facade is half - timbered and is decorated with two murals depicting people in folk costumes.

 

The Chapel of Golf club Čeladná

On the Gofl course PGA, close to the teeing ground of hole no.18, there is a new chapel in a gothic style. It is decorated with statues of St. Jan Nepomucký and St. Prosper from a sculptor Jiří Vyvial. The chapel and the statues were blessed in June 2009 by a bishop František Václav Lobkowicz from ostravsko – opavská diocese.

The local patron St. Prosper is a less known persona among sacred history. Saints of such name were actually two: first, St. Prosper Tiro from Aquitaine who lived in 5th century in France. He was an educated monk and poet who lived in Marseille, then he went to Rome where he became an adviser of the Pope Leo I. He died in 463. Second, St. Prosper from Reggio was a bishop in Italian town Emilia and died in 8th century.

To St. Jan Nepomucký a church in Čeladná is dedicated. A statue of a martyr, that was thrown off the Charles Bridge in Prague during the reign of Václav IV.,  is an integral part of any historical bridge in the country.

 

The Hubert´s hunting lodge

This hunting lodge is situated in the southwest shoulder of the Smrk mountain. There is a red marked tourist path leading round the hunting lodge, starting either in Upper Čeladná at the timbered chapel of St. Cyril and Method or in Podolánky.

The hunting lodge was built in 1910 for an archbishop František Salomon (Saleský) Bauer from Olomouc town and his guests, who enjoyed hunting here in the mountains. The evidence of that is a carved notice in the stairs at the entry. In 1984, the huntin lodge was restored and at present it is under a sensible renovation again.
Near the Hubert´s hunting lodge, there is a well kept well with clear mountain water. The hunting lodge is a property of the Forestry of Czech republic and is not usually open for public.

 

The Monuments

Čeladná is also part of the history of the Partisan movement. There were several brigades operating such as: "For the mother land", "Jan Žižka" and "Wolfram". About a repressive action called "Action Wood grouse", supervised personally by K.H. Frank, Miroslav Ivanov writes in his book. Both the Soviet and English Partisans were operating in this area. Their activities have been reminded up to this day by many monuments.

The memorial plaque dedicated to Ján Ušiak is placed on the right side of the road to Upper Čeladná (it is marked in the tourist map), near the Memorial of Josef Kalus. He was a commander of 1st Czechoslovakian Partisan brigade "Jan Žižka".
At the crossroad to Upper Čeladná, there is a monument of a Freedom fighter with a sculpture made in 1953 by a sculptor Josef Bílek from Hořice.

By the road to Frýdlant upon Ostravice, there is a monument of executed Partisans Oldřich Machandr and Karel Winkler, made by a sculptor Karel Vašut from Frenštát under Radhošť in 1962.

There is a monument of commander J. Ušiak and his followers in the Čeladná cemetery.
There is a memorial palque on the forester´s lodge Samorostlý in Podolánky, dedicated to the Partisan brigade "For the mother land".
On the hill Martiňák, there is a small monument dedicated to the Partisans.
A small monument for the Partisans and a small memorial of R. Valentová are placed at the Kněhyňská meadow under the Kněhyně mountain.

 

The Church of St. Prokop and St. Barbora

A sub -Carpathian wooden church that is devoted to St. Michal, used to stand in village Hliňance in sub-Carpathian Russia. It is originaly from the end of 17th – beginning of 18th century and belonged to the Orthodox church. It was transported to Kunčice under Ondřejník thanks to the director of the Mining and metallurgic company in Ostrava city, ing. Šebela.
He let the church take to the pieces and then have it built again on his own land on a low hill near the railway station in Kunčice. In 1931, the church was consecrated by a bishop from Olomouc and dedicated to St. Prokop and St. Barbora – patrons of the miners.

Six years later, on 16th December 1937, Šebel´s daugther Milada got married there to a son of a famous coal baron from Karivná, earl Edward Larisch – Mönich. The wedding of a member of the Larisch family was an outstanding occassion outreaching the region and in Kunčice it is still remembered.

kalendář akcí



Sports facilities

Mobilní turistický
průvodce Čeladnou
A new square has been built in the centre of Čeladná, with tens of flats, shops and a hotel. The spa tradition from 1902 has been followed by the Beskydské rehabilitation centre together with the newly built Lara Wellness centre. Also due to the top golf courses with 36 holes, Čeladná belongs to the most visited places of the Northern Moravia. We believe that Čeladná captures your heart and you will happily come back or it will even become your new home.
Moravskoslezský kraj This project has been cofinanced from the sources of the Moravian - Silesian region.